So on this lovely Saturday evening, I decided to stay home and keep it easy and pick out one of the many awesome documentaries on Netflix.
I went along with the documentary entitled, “Tapped.” It was about the bottled water industry in America. Sounded entertaining and insightful- so I pressed play.
Here are some important facts that I learned that I think is vital for everyone to know and understand.
- Bottled Water Industry is worth an estimated 800 billion dollars (which is why big corporations want a part of it)
- Nestle, Pepsi, and Coke-Cola are the three top bottled water companies in America
- Pepsi’s “Aquafina” and Coke’s “Dasani” bottled water are actually made from normal TAP water- you’re paying for tap water when you could get it for FREE at home! Think twice before purchasing these two..or just don’t do it at all.
- In the USA- only 20% of beverage containers getting recycled – and it’s been declining over the years
- Bottled water is packaged in PET or PETE- the primary ingredient in PET is a clear liquid derived from crude oil- 80% of PET created in the USA is found in Nestle ,Pepsi, or Coke beverage containers
- PET water bottles contains Benzene- which causes cancer - bottled water is not a healthy product!
- Plastic water bottle manufacturing uses 714 MILLION gallons of oil – That is enough to fuel 100,000 CARS
- People living near oil refineries who produce PET- have a higher rate of cancer, birth defects and other health risks from the pollutant exposure in their neighborhood from the refinery
- Tap water is highly regulated / Bottled water is virtually unregulated
- Municipal tap water has to be tested constantly every day: The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) regulates tap water testing- Water is tested 300 times a month with a city over 1 million residents
- You really don’t know what you are getting in bottled water…arsenic? Yes-it’s been found. Toluene as well- this chemical is found in gasoline and paint thinner and is obviously very harmful for your health
- Styrene- a chemical found in bottled water tested after being in trunk of a car for a week-causes serious reproductive complications
- BPA- a chemical found in plastic water bottles and 5 gallon jugs – linked to more human diseases increased in over the past 30 years
- 80 million single-use bottles of water are consumed daily in America- 30 million end up in landfills (a lot ends up in the Pacific Ocean..and ends up deposited on some distant shore)