Oh sloths- they are a very unique species on our planet. I’d have the pleasure of touching one before at Sea World Camp- all I can say from that experience is that they are very slow moving creatures with super coarse hair. But here are some fun facts I learned about sloths while surfing the internet:
Fun Sloth Facts:
- Sloths are related to armadillos and anteaters
- Sloth fur exhibits specialized functions: the outer hairs grow in a direction opposite from that of other mammals. In most mammals hairs grow toward the extremities, but because sloths spend so much time with their legs above their bodies, their hairs grow away from the extremities in order to provide protection from the elements while the sloth hangs upside down. (Thanks Wikipedia!)
- Sloths live in trees- but they visit the ground once a week to do their “business”- they dig a hole and then cover it up once they finish
- Their fur is a great breeding ground for algal growth- so from the air their eagle predators think they are more apart of the tree than a juicy meal
- Most of them can’t survive in zoos 😦
You can’t help but smile when you watch this YouTube video of baby sloths in a reserve in Costa Rica- ENJOY!